Even while not being able to attend this year’s New York Comic Con (NYCC) we wanted to bring you as much of the latest news as possible, so our Comic Station crew gathered news from the biggest publishers and bring it to you here. Since we couldn’t attend NYCC 2013, if you would like to contribute to this list of information leave a comment below and we’ll add it to our coverage:
- As part of their 75th Anniversary of Batman, DC Comics is launching Batman Eternal as a WEEKLY comic book series in Sprinf og 2014 by writer Scott Snyder. Not only this, but previous “toxic” character Stephanie Brown will be returning to the Batman Universe. Stephanie Brown is a villain-turned-Robin-turned-Batgirl.
- Scott Lobdell, writer of Superboy, managed to both announce and spoil(?) the news that the clone Conner Kent will be dying, being replaced by the alternate future son of Clark Kent and Lois Lane. Oh, and Supergirl would be “leaving the Superman family” of comic books.
- Inhumans #1 due out in January 2014 and writtern by Matt Fraction will have a number of new Inhumans following the Infinity Events, with not all of these new Inhumans willing to follow their new king Black Bolt.
- Other titles announced were All-New Invaders, Iron Patriot, All-New Ghost Rider, and Silver Surfer.
Dark Horse Comics
- Dark Horse has partnered with a number of video game companies to bring tie-ins to the comic book universe.
- The Witcher from acclaimed RPG maker CD Projekt Red will be a comic book coming out in March 2014, just in time for their next video game installment The Witcher 3:Wild Hunt.
- Keiji Inafune’s Yaiba: Ninja Gaiden Z will bring the zombie slashing ninja to comics.
- Even the MMO EVE Online will have a comic series that centers around actual player-driven events in the MMO worlds history.
- Dark Horse Comics and Dynamite Entertainment have joing forces to create a publisher crossover even that’ll see two characters joining worlds again after 15years of seperation. Red Sonja by Gail Simone (Dynamite) and Conan by Brian Wood (Dark Horse) will once again cross paths – and blades?
- Next January the new series Serenity: Leaves on the Wind will continue the Joss Whedon TV Series Serenity and be a followup to the corresponding movie Firefly. Written by Joss Whedon’s brother Zack Whedon.
- January will feature a five-week run of Li’l Dynamite titles. These all-ages ones-shot issues will feature characters including Red Sonja, Evil Bernie, and others.
- Bill Willingham of Fables fame will penning their new Legenderry: A Steampunk Adventure title, with a seven-issue monthly crossover event featuring class characters from comics and film.
- After the Unleashed event the next big Grimm Fairy Tales shattering event will be Age of Darkness.
- New titles Quest and Red were announced to be written by Patrick Shand.
As a special note, this year’s NYCC 2013 had the largest attendance yet with 130,000 attendees putting it on par with San Diego Comic Con (SDCC) as the largest comic book convention in the country.
We also have all the news in video format if you prefer you NYCC 2013 news with some visuals: