Break out the bubbly champagne and celebratory cigars! We hit 100! Course, as this feature’s coordinator, I withheld this recommendation to 100 because boy, is it special to me.
In addition, our site went to Pax and amassed quite a few (30+ !) previews for Pax East for some curious eyeballs. Lots of indies, lots and lots of show-stealing titles from teams of five or under.
100. Shatter’s “Argon Refinery” (Module)
“I’ll never eloquently explain effectively why Shatter tops my list of game music. It’s perfect, so I’ll give it a shot. Every track I listen to completion. Module’s futuristic rock music invigorated my love for game music where Spyro 2 planted the seed. A reluctant game music bundle 2 purchase found one of my favorite artists and soundtrack I’ll forever boast. And Argon Refinery is the pinnacle of it. The guitar strums are powerful, synth sounds are so good, and it never gets old. I specifically withhold overplaying the album and track for the purposes of forcing it to be special. Whip out when necessary for a calming hour of awesome.”
101. Shatter “Boss Theme” (Module)
Double dose, why not? The break halfway in the boss theme by far is one of my favorite sequences in Shatter. Go from melodic vocal gibberish to pulse-pounding EDM, pinpointing the urgency and tension of a boss fight.
102. Pokemon X & Y’s “Bicycling Theme” (Shota Kageyama)
“One of the catchiest jingles in a game with a lot of killer cuts, it has the feel of reckless abandon as you barrel down a route, care-free and probably trying to hatch an egg.”
103. Little Big Planet 2 “Sleepyhead” (Passion Pit)
“No game trailer has ever gotten me more pumped for the final product than the first LittleBigPlanet 2 trailer released in 2010. This was due, in part, to the excitement for a bevy of new tools to create and share with, but what really drove the trailer home was the inclusion of Sleepyhead by Passion Pit as the game’s forerunner main theme. And man, did they knock it out of the park.”
104. The Wolf Among Us “Prologue Song” (Jared Emerson-Johnson)
“The Wolf Among Us might play a lot like Telltale’s other running series, The Walking Dead, but the music is totally different. This track, which plays during each episode’s prologue, is a perfect example of this. It has the perfect feeling for the game, a retro style mixed with dark tones sets the stage for the world of Fabletown and the adventure that you are about to have there.”
105. True Crime – Streets of L.A. “Taproot Poem” (Sean Murray)
“Ah, the early 2000’s, when rock music blared out of pop music radio and it seemed like everyone was cashing in on the popularity. Video games was no exception at the time.
It was the first True Crime that introduced me to a band known as Taproot and I’ve been a fan ever since. Imagine getting into a gunfight or a boss fight with this tune cranked up through your TV. Although this game had a lot of great music in it, with Deftones and Unloco, I choose this one just because as soon as I hear it, I want to go back and play this game.”
106. Chrono Trigger “At the End of Time” (Yasunori Mitsuda)
“Chrono Trigger holds a very special place in my heart. It’s one of the few games I can play that take me back to a time where I was young, optimistic, and all-around a totally different person. It was an engrossing experience then that I can continue to relive each and every year (which I do).
With each successive playthrough, different songs on its incredible soundtrack stick out for me; “At the End of Time” is the only song in the game that has really, truly clung to my mind. It is without a doubt one of my favorite songs of all time.”
Descent into the Archives.
- Game Music Daily Week One: Spyro 2, Chrono Cross, Fez, Far Cry 3, Dead Island Riptide, Metal Gear Solid, Orcs Must Die 2!
- Game Music Daily Week Two: Bayonetta, Metroid, Spelunky, Portal 2, Ratchet & Clank 3, Halo 2, Ni No Kuni!
- Game Music Daily Week Three: Need for Speed The Run, Namco x Capcom, Pokemon X & Y, Bastion, Super Mario Sunshine, Metal Gear Solid, Payday The Heist
- Game Music Daily SPORTS WEEK: Tecmo Super Bowl, SSX, F-Zero, Wii Sports, NFL Street 2, World Class Track Meet, NFL Sports Talk Football, NHL 2002
- Game Music Daily LOVE WEEK: Saints Row 4, Gone Home, Persona 4, Catherine, ICO, Ace Combat 5, Assassin’s Creed 4, Ocarina of Time
- Game Music Daily Week Six: Retro City Rampage, Bravely Default, Persona 4, The Last of Us, Karnov, Run Like Hell, BlazBlue
- Game Music Daily Week Seven: Donkey Kong Country, Dustforce, Ratchet: Deadlocked, Mass Effect 3, Ice Hockey, Fallout 3, Ace Combat Assault Horizon
- Game Music Daily Week Eight: Borderlands 2, Sonic and Knuckles, Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze, Starbound, The Stanley Parable, Comix Zone, Battlefield 4
- Game Music Daily Week Nine: StarHawk, Heavy Rain, Awesomenauts, Katamari Damacy, Warsow, Phoenix Wright
- Game Music Daily Week Ten: Super Mario Galaxy, X-Men 2 Clone Wars, Metroid, Papers, Please, The Walking Dead Season 2, Quake 4
- Game Music Daily Week 11: State of Decay, Metal Gear Solid 3, Final Fantasy X, FTL, Halo 3, Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, Battlefield 4
- Game Music Daily Week 12: Crysis 2, Metroid Prime, Kerbal Space Program, Mass Effect, Blazblue, Halo Spartan Assault, Titanfall
- Game Music Daily Week of Great Soundtracks, Disappointing Games: Sonic 3D Blast, LAIR, Dead Island, Balloon Fight, Lost Planet, Medal of Honor: Warfighter
- Game Music Daily Week 14: Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Bust a Groove, Scott Pilgrim vs the World, Luftrausers, Motocross Madness 2, Tribes: Ascend, Silent Hill 2